Anthony Rizzo’s season has come to an end.
Aaron Boone said Tuesday that the Yankees are shutting the first baseman down for the rest of the year.
Rizzo has been out since Aug. 1 with post-concussion syndrome.
Rizzo went on the injured list roughly two months after a late-May collision with the Padres’ Fernando Tatis Jr. Rizzo hurt his neck on the play, but initial tests cleared him of a concussion. He went on to endure the worst slump of his career, and bouts of fogginess ultimately led to him seeing a neurologist in August. It was then that he was diagnosed.
Boone said over the weekend that Rizzo had not suffered a setback and that he was performing baseball activities in New York. The manager has also said that the Yankees’ place in the standings nor their commitment to playing younger players would impact what the team did with Rizzo, who had been trying to come back this year.
But Rizzo has not been cleared to play yet, Boone said. While the manager reiterated that Rizzo has been improving, he said doctors wanted to do another checkup in a few weeks. With less than a month left in the season, Rizzo and the Yankees were running out of time for a return.
This is a developing story. Check back for details.